Charity Delgado College
450 S. Claiborne Avenue
New Orleans, Louisiana 70112
See featured schools
See program details
Nursing Programs OfferedADN Programs
ADN Program Details
The purpose of the program leading to an Associate of Science Degree in Nursing is to provide opportunities for graduates to gain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to:
• Enter the health care delivery system in first-level staff nurse positions
• Provide nursing care using the nursing process to assist clients in achieving or maintaining, their optimal level of health.
• Write the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN)
• Acquire a base for continuing education
• Facilitate entrance into a baccalaureate nursing program
The program prepares beginning practitioners in nursing to:
1. Provide competent nursing care in varied settings for clients from diverse cultures with common, chronic and acute alterations in health.
2. Apply the nursing process integrating critical thinking skills and knowledge from biological and behavioral sciences to promote adaptation across the life span.
3. Communicate to effect positive outcomes along the wellness-illness continuum in collaboration with clients and interdisciplinary health team member.
4. Function as a teacher for health promotion, prevention of illness, restoration of health and rehabilitation.
5. Demonstrate professionalism in the practice of nursing.
LPN Program Details
Plans have the option of completing the Charity School of Nursing curriculum through one of three tracks:
1. Complete the entire curriculum plan.
2. Challenge 13 semester credit hours.
3. Enter the LPN-RN transition curriculum track.
4. Advanced Placement for student who completed the DCC Practical Nursing Program
These three tracks are described in more detail below. Admission to Charity School of Nursing and proof of current unencumbered unrestricted LPN licensure and documentation of the minimal number of LPN nursing work hours are required before Tracks 2 or 3 can be entered. No work experience is required for Track 4.
TRACK 1: The student completes the “Generic Plan” curriculum pattern described on pages 15-16.
TRACK 2: “CHALLENGE” This track is open to students who have one year of nursing experience (minimum of 2000 hours) as an LPN within 2 years of challenge application. Documentation of this experience from the employer must be submitted. The student may attempt to earn challenge credit for selected nursing courses. NURS 112 (Basics in Nursing) and NURS 115 (Pharmacology in Nursing) are the most frequently challenged courses. The student should be enrolled in Delgado Community College the semester prior to challenging the above (NO EXCEPTIONS).