Eastern Gateway Community College
4000 Sunset Boulevard
Steubenville, Ohio 43952
See featured schools
See program details
Nursing Programs OfferedLPN Programs
LPN Program Details
The one-year certificate in practical nursing is a self-contained course of practical nursing education, designed to meet the need in nursing services for a worker who will share in direct patient care. The program graduate is prepared to give safe, competent nursing care within a select range of patient-care situations at the direction of the registered nurse and/or licensed physician.
Practical Nursing Program application/admissions criteria are identified in the college catalog.
The individual who successfully completes all program requirements is awarded a certificate in practical nursing and is eligible to sit for the National Council Licensing Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). Successful passing of this exam merits the graduate the right to apply for state licensure as a licensed practical nurse and use the initials LPN.
Upon completion of the certificate in practical nursing, the graduate will be able to:
1. Use effective communication skills with clients and health team members.
2. Utilize the nursing process when delivering nursing care to meet the client’s physical and psychosocial needs while adhering to the ethical principles and legal framework inherent to practical nursing.
3. Demonstrate technical proficiency in the nursing skills necessary to fulfill the role of an entry-level practical nurse.
4. Provide the client with a safe, effective environment while utilizing concepts from the conceptual framework of the school of nursing when assisting clients to deal with their health status.
5. Meet requirements for the NCLEX-PN.